Admission & Application
LMPS is proud to offer two positions for our inaugural year of the Advanced Pharmacy Residency Year 2 (APRY2) program. Our admissions process is meant to select candidates with prior experience and knowledge who would benefit from advancing their practice through the Year 2 residency.
REQUIRED CREDENTIALS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants are required to be registered and licensed or eligible for license as a pharmacist with the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia. All exams required for licensure must be completed prior to the start of the residency program which is in late August of each year.
All successful applicants must provide evidence of membership with the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists and maintain their active membership throughout the course of the residency year.
All applicants must meet the University of British Columbia's eligibility criteria for unclassified student status and apply by the designated application deadline for courses starting in September. Click the link for further information on how to apply for the unclassified student status.
Minimum admissions standards:
- B.Sc or PharmD from an accredited Canadian pharmacy program
- Completion of an accredited first year pharmacy residency program
Please prepare the following documents for submission:
- Letter of Intent
- A Resumé or CV
- University Transcripts from an accredited university
- Three (3) reference letters emailed to Avena.Guppy@VCH.ca
Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview in March or April.
Applicants will be selected based on a review process taking into account the applicant's speciality preferences, letters of reference, interviews, and academic performance during your undergraduate pharmacy program and first-year residency.
Applicant Selection for Interview
Once an application is received, it is reviewed for completeness. In order to be reviewed, all APRY2 applications and special requirements for acceptance must be received by the application deadline.
Each APRY2 applicant packet is screened and scored by 2 members of the APRY2 Residency Advisory Committee, one of which will be the preceptor lead of the speciality. Each screener will fill out part I of the APRY2 resident application rating form and submit with additional comments to the LMPS APRY2 Program Manager. Each candidate will be assessed on the following domains:
- Communication skills
- Clinical experience (breadth, performance, scope of activity)
- Work experience
- Personal/environmental factors (maturity, confidence, motivation, and adaptability)
- Teaching experience and interest
- Research experience and interest
- Extracurricular involvement
- Academic performance
- Aggregate letters of recommendation
The LMPS Residency Program Manager will average the score of the two screeners to determine if an on-site interview will be granted.
The on-site interview will consist, at minimum, of the following:
- Standardized panel interview questions with approximately 5 people on the interview panel
- 20 minute oral presentation to the interview panel
- Topic will be of the candidate’s choice (strongly preferred to be in the area of specialty to which he/she is applying)
Example – case discussion, research project, quality improvement project, preparation for accreditation, a patient care initiative (outside of expected clinical duties)
Each candidate will be assessed on the following:
- Overall performance in the APRY1 program, clinical rotation experiences
- Interest in program
- Interest in specialty or relevant experience
- Teaching and research experience
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Operational experience
- Oral presentation skills